Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Where I am From

I am from pencil shavings,
from papermate mongol and erasers
I am from the gigantic lego creations
scattered about the rooms

I am from the maraƱon trees,
whose seeds hang upside down
I am from music and creativity,
from Abuela Maggie and Abuelo Numan
and Vasquez- Perez

I am from the organized chaos,
the jokes and puns
From there is nothing to fear and be careful
I am from prays at night
Padre Nuestro, Santa Maria Madre de Dios
and Angel de Mi Guarda

I am from San Fernando
from Panama City Panama
I am from golden coins and
ancient relics.
From brownies and banana cakes

I am from the Creepy doll collection Tia Blanca Elena
never wanted, nor will, throw out
I am from the one who is missing both eyes,
her pitch black holes, ever staring, into mine.
And from the leap of faith Andrea took when she was six
hoping she could do like I did
*thud* she went from the dollhouse's roof

I am from the albums on top of my head,
from the first trip we took when we were born,
From Ecuador to New York
From Grandma's baby sepia pictures and my dad
sitting in the bus with hair on his head

I am from falling for fictional character
Eadric, Luka, and Tony as well
I am from Abuela Charo's Halloween costumes:
The Mime, Charlie Chaplin (3rd), and BettleJuice [Betelgeuse] (2nd)

I am from Pegasi, Unicorns, and Ponies alike
Buttons, Surprise, Sparkler, and Posey
I am from Pinky and Lila Tutifruti
forever in my heart

I am from nine months ago, the 25th of December
at the beach as night falls
I am from roses, delicate yet full of thorns.

I am from Abuelo Rudy's gazillion of farms
and the pawn shop from before that
I am from the first
"Who is that Pokemon?"
up to
"It's Tepig, Oshawott, and Snivy!"

I am from the sketches of my mom
and the anatomy of my dad
I am from Wednesday
August 26, 1998

I am from the drawers right besides me,
the notebooks on the first then the erasers.
I am from the biology slide kits which contain
Frog Ovaries, cricket skin, and butterfly wings

I am from "you are weird" and
"but, in the good way"
I am from the microscope underneath my feet
from the portable one in my third drawer
I am from doubts and procrastination
from pouts and "the people of my nation"

I am from games
La Lata and Sardinita
La Gallinita Siega and
Un, Dos, Tres Pan y Queso

I am from questions, pondering,
mixed feelings
From individuality, secrets, and
Control-Z,
 AND CAPS LOCK PRESSED ACCIDENTALLY
I am from "Quick! act normal!"
and "S41T! I'm screwed!"
I am from "sorry" and
"I don't care."

I am from the green van
that is one year less old than I am
I am from the Rexton and the Frappes
we ate in there
both, to be sold
For them I both cared

I am from my strenghts, my weaknesses
and everything in between
and my obsessions alike.
But I mostly am from those who have formed me
My Family, my non-blood-related family
my teachers, my Friends
Yet I am from the places I've been,
the people I've seen, met, and believed

I am from my Family
all the way to the top of the tree,
from my drawings, my pets,
my weird fantasies

I am from my dreams,
the mini heart attacks
(startles) I have everyday,
from my freaky "artistic sense"
and from all the stuff you all put up with

I am from peace and war
the light and the dark
to love and tolerate
I am from evreything above,
from August and beyond :)

-Ximena Vasquez-


2 comments:

  1. Ximena!!! This is amazzziiiinnngggg. The way you capitalized and punctuated gave so much voice to the story! I could hear you saying "WHAT YOU ALL HAVE TO PUT UP WITH!!!" amazing amazing job! I liked your use of native language like "un dos tres pan y queso" HAHA I used to play that game all the time too! Loved it

    PS- Get rid of word verification

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this poem you can just feel XIMENA dripping out of every word

    ReplyDelete